Helping our clients to return to driving safely and independently.
We conduct comprehensive pre-drive and on-road assessments to clarify the impact of visual, perceptual, cognitive and physical conditions on a person’s ability to drive safely.
The pre-drive assessment evaluates a person’s functional skills related to driving, including physical, sensory, visual, visual perceptual and cognitive skills.
The assessment is conducted in the comfort of your home, and typically takes one to two hours.
An on-road assessment is conducted in an adapted vehicle with dual controls (brake and accelerator) with modifications as required to promote your safety and independence.
The assessment is conducted with an Occupational Therapist who has completed specialist post-graduate training in driving assessments, and a Driving Instructor who is skilled in road law and driving techniques to provide instructions and ensure everyone’s safety during the assessment.
Recommendations to promote safety and independence
Based on the assessment outcome, we provide tailored recommendations and vehicle modifications to promote safety and independence when driving.
There are possible outcomes of the assessment:
- Recommendation to maintain unconditional license – meaning that no safety concerns were noted during the assessment.
- Recommendation for the provision of conditional license – there may be certain requirements to ensure your safety while driving, which may include conditions about the time of day and distances you are able to safely travel.
- Recommendation for vehicle modifications – there may be certain vehicle modifications including a modified steering wheel or pedals to allow you to continue driving safely and independently.
- Recommendation for training with a qualified Driving Instructor – Driving lessons may be recommended to support you with improving your ability to drive safely or familiarise yourself with vehicle modifications.
- Recommendation to cease driving – this outcome may unfortunately occur if there are concerns that your safety or the safety of the public may be at risk.
The OT with a Key specialises in comprehensive, evidenced based driving assessments as supported by the National Medical Standards for Assessing Fitness to Drive.